What's the Difference? Precise Terminology for the Home Inspector
What's the Difference? Precise Terminology for the Home Inspector October Home Inspections 866 628-1084
What’s the Diff? Series
Precise Terminology for the Home Inspector

by Arlene Puentes, October Home Inspections

What's the Difference Between Yankee Gutters and Built In Gutters?

Similar or same gutters are also known as box gutters, concealed gutters, integral gutters and wooden gutters. Have I got them all? Probably not. Several sources use these terms interchangeably, several sources define each as a separate type. There are no nationally agreed upon terms but there are probably many undocumented (verbal) regionally agreed upon terms, but these regionally agreed upon terms differ from region to region.

I can't help you here. Use any term your home inspeciton client will understand.

Yankee gutters and built in gutters (and all the rest) are gutters that are a part of the of the building instead of being added on. They are not visible from the ground. You seem to be looking at a sofit.

Built-in Gutter     Built-in Gutter

What you need to know: Alas, although wood Yankee gutters and built-in gutters are charming they're probably rotted through from the lack of the exacting yearly maintenance that they require. A many-layer coating of roofing cement and/or a covering of roofing material or vinyl siding may very well be covering rotted pieces of lumber.

Converted Built-in Gutter

Their deterioration has also probably allowed rot of siding fascia and sofits.

There's something else: These gutters, in their almost surely rotted state, are a hazard to those of us who walk on roofs. Covered with a layer of asphalt shingles, you may forget that they're under you. Be careful.

All text and photos © Arlene Puentes
Do not copy


More from the "What's the Diff" Series:

What's the Difference Between:

Cement And Concrete?
Mortar And Concrete?
Masonry And Concrete?
Cinder Blocks and Concrete Blocks?
A Pier and a Post and a Column?
An Adjustable Metal Column and a Lally Column?
A Check and a Crack in a Wood Framing Member?
A Ridge Beam and a Ridge Board?
A Joist and an I-joist?
Stucco and EIFS and Fiber Cement Siding?

Building Science Research and Information

How to Inspect Adjustable Steel Columns

Brick Lined Walls in Wood Framed Homes
co-written with Daniel Friedman.

Are You Being Asked to Agree to an Ineffective Mold Remediation Job?

Home Inspection Tool and Equipment Review

Rite in the Rain Rite in the Rain All-Weather Writing Paper  

Book Reviews

Just Add H2Oh Just Add H2Oh by Dan Holohan  

Spada The Home Inspection Book by Marcia Darvin Spada

Home Inspection Educational Video Review

Mapping a House Mapping A House by Jack Reilly